About Me

My photo
Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, United Kingdom
Hello there, my name is Sharon and I live in Westcliff on Sea with my two daughters, Rosie Matilda and Rumer Valentine and, when he's home from uni, my son Sydney. I opened my shop Roses & Rue in July 2009 and this has been a long held dream realised. I have recently given up teaching so that I can focus on building the business. As well as being fanatical about knitting, I love to crochet, sew and generally have a go at all things crafty. Hopefully you will take a little time out now and then to visit the blog and find out whats been going on in my busy world.

Thursday 8 July 2010

Sew Sew Lovely

Since joining the patchwork group, I've found myself becoming more and more puritanical about what I do. I've discovered that there is nothing to compare to hand stitching. I have always thought that using a sewing machine is the best course of action because it is quick, neat and even. But how wrong can one be!
There is something deeply satisfying about sitting around a table with a group of lovely people, drinking tea, chatting and sewing. I even like tacking! And equally satisfying is seeing something take shape that is completely hand made without the assistance of anything other than ones own steam. When I'm about to explode after a day at school, or shopping in Tesco (yuck) I can sit down with my sewing on my lap and take pleasure in a line of small and perfectly formed stitches (well almost perfect; I am still learning). And I can fondle the fabric as I go! (perhaps I need to get out more).
Having said all of this, it's early days and I haven't attempted the quilting yet (that's on next week's agenda). And would I like to make curtains by hand? Oh no, I don't think so..........



No comments: